Sunday, July 12, 2009

Nebraska + Wyoming


I-80 across Nebraska is... to be completely frank... excruciating. It's unbelievably long, and the scenery never changes. Ever. No terrain, no real cities, no interesting little Mom and Pop places along the way... just nothingness. And eight hours of it - or something ridiculous like that.

I spent the night at a Motel 6 in Big Springs, which is near the corner where Colorado juts into Nebraska, and enjoyed a peaceful evening in. Woke up the next morning, had a mediocre breakfast at "Grandma Max's" (a chain!, I learned, to my disappointment) and was ready to tackle Wyoming. Well, and a couple more hours of Nebraska, still. I had memories (from a Yellowstone trip long ago) of Wyoming being excruciatingly devoid of anything either - but to my surprise and relief both, it proved quite scenic.




When I was little and my parents and I would drive out to Colorado in the summers, there was always a bag of M&M's promised to the first person who could spot the mountains on the horizon. Despite being an only child, I felt the competition was stiff - and so I sat in the backseat, leaning forward, eyes glued to the windshield, crying out in excitement every time I thought I saw something - most often, mistaking low-hanging clouds for snowy peaks - before catching sight of the real thing. (See if you can make them out in the picture below...)


Somehow, this time, seeing those mountains, I really felt like Wow! I'm driving west! That was a good feeling. Slowly but surely, I am making my way across this country.


2 comments:

  1. Yitka! It's Renee- I have a new blog too! (about making things and local food and baking and etc.) it's at: www.offthetrail.wordpress.com

    Your blog looks super-exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...there was always a bag of M&M's promised to the first person who could spot the mountains on the horizon. Despite being an only child, I felt the competition was stiff..."

    I actually laughed out loud.

    ReplyDelete